6.27.2011

New Habits: Early Bird

I have never been an early riser.  I come from a long line of women who sleep in, nap frequently, and like to watch late night TV.  I am not a morning person.  It's in my genes.  I won't apologize.

Here is proof that mornings and I don't jive.  Please don't judge.

{taken at a beach vacay with the family and I am hiding under 2 hoodies, my crooked glasses, and my hand.  I told you I am not good for mornings.}

But recently, I have decided that in order to have the time that I desperately need {ie. alone time with my husband, maybe some blog stalking, and perhaps getting to work in a timely manner, something has to give.  In an experiment of nature vs. nurture, I have begun the ginormous and ugly task of attempting to become an early bird. 

I know that you may think I am exaggerating but waking up too early actually makes me feel physically ill.  I get an upset stomach, my head hurts, and I am NOT my normal, charming self.  In order to conquer something so obviously foreign, I had to have a plan.  Enter: Zen Habits

If you don't already know about this blog, take a gander.  It's a low-fuss, unpretentious, blog that covers a multitude of habits that anyone will find helpful.  {The entry that inspired my plan of attack is here} So far, so good.  Honestly, I had a few mornings that I overslept but it's been 2 weeks now and for the first time I actually woke up on my own at 6am this morning!  {It sure doesn't hurt that it was gloriously sunny outside} 

It. Felt. So. Good.  I think that for now, 6am feels right.  If I want to push it a bit, I'm thinking it might be fun to try to 5:30am and maybe travel the neighborhood for an early morning work out but I'm not pushing things. New habit #1 conquered.  For now.  


No comments: